Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Romance Writers Weekly: Editing and Writing Process Questions


Do you like to read romance novels? Wouldn’t you like to know more about your favorite authors?

Well you came to the right place! Join the writers of Romance Weekly as we go behind the scenes of our books and tell all... About our writing of course!

Every week we’ll answer questions and after you’ve enjoyed the blog on this site we’ll direct you to another. So come back often for a thrilling ride!


Thanks for clicking on my link from the wonderful Jo Richardson's page, and big huge thanks for this week’s questions from Ronnie Allen.

Here we go!

1. When do you decide that you've done enough editing and changes would now be making
your story different, not better, and it's the time to submit?

My personal process is to write through a rough draft, set it aside for a short while, and then go back through and complete a first edit. Afterwards, I share my work with a beta reader and/or critique partners I trust. A second round of edits result from that feedback, and then I'll take a small break (even 24 hours works for me) and go through the story for another overall read. 

When I do this read I am looking for overall flow, that all plot elements are tied up, and that the story comes together as a whole.

More edits might be needed, depending on the manuscript, but it could also be the perfect time to submit.

2. When and how do you accept change advice by rejection letters and critique partners?

I like feedback after my own first initial edit, and I like various kinds of feedback. Some critique partners are very detailed and make comments on the manuscript via Microsoft Word's Track Changes features. 

Other feedback comes from beta readers who give overall feedback about how the story flowed, whether the characters were likable, and if there was enough tension to make them eager to turn the pages. I value both types of feedback. Actually, any feedback on my manuscript is valuable, even if I don't incorporate it. It's always helpful to allow me to see my work my objectively. I compile feedback and sort it out before diving into a second thorough edit on a manuscript.

3. When you're not writing, how do you spend your day or do you create your day around your writing?

I wish I could create my day around my writing! :) My dream is write full-time and work part-time. That's the goal I work toward, though right now I have a full-time job and carve out time for writing in the morning and evenings.

However, I do enjoy how I spend my day. I am a full-time cover designer and also do freelance editing for a couple of small publishers and independently published authors.  Most of the work I do is related to publishing, and I learn skills that I can apply to my own writing career. For instance, I created my own covers for my current Whitechapel Wagers historical romance series. 

I am blessed to have a job that has a positive impact on my writing career and goals. 

Now follow me over to J.J. Devine's blog to find out how she answered the same questions.

Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

  1. Its fantastic that your 'day' job revolves around writing as well. I really enjoyed reading your answers, Christy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, JJ! My real luck is a husband who supports me in my writing career goals and allowed me to start my own design business. :) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing job you have, at least you can still involve yourself with the process of writing, even if for other authors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mishka! I hope I can keep on designing, even if I ever get to be a "full-time" writer. :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh, pretty cover Christy! And great answers. I think supportive husbands inspire us to create amazing heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kim! You're absolutely right about supportive husbands. :) Mine is crucial to making this whole writing/work/life balance work. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete